The PDP candidate for Nnewi North House of Assembly seat, Rt. Hon. Barr. Benchuks Nwosu, has released his achievements in the House of Assembly, in his first term. The 7 page document exclusively obtained by 9jareporters, contains the CV of the erudite lawyer, his achievements in his first term and his legislative agenda, come 2019.
See the content of the document below-
Residential Address: Obi Ezeudu, Chief David Nwosu’s Compound, Agawanna, Okpuno Nnweichi, Nnewi.
BEN CHUKS NWOSU ESQ.
B.A. (HONS) PHIL, LL.B (HONS), BL.
(Barrister – at Law)
PDP CANDIDATE FOR NNEWI NORTH STATE CONSTITUENCY FOR THE MARCH, 2019 GENERAL ELECTION:
State of Origin: Anambra State
Local Govt. Area: Nnewi North LGA
Marital Status: Married
Ben Chuks Nwosu Esq is a hardworking, focused, determined, creative and honest individual with an excellent interpersonal skill, a team player with motivational skills. He is an experienced legal practitioner with impressive legislative and communicative skills.
- Nigerian Law School
- University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Nnewi High School, Nnewi
- Bachelor of Law (BL)
- LL.B (Hons.)
- BA (Hons) Philosophy
- West Africa School Certificate (WASC)
Founded Ben Nwosu & Co. Dec. 1992 till date
Designation: Head of Chambers
Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN’s Chambers Jan. 1992
Designation: Deputy Head of Chambers
Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN’s Chambers 1990 – 1992
Designation: Barrister and Solicitor
College of Education, Benin 1984 – 1985
Designation: Lecturer: Philosophy of Education
College of Education, Benin 1983 – 1984
Designation: Asst. Registrar II (Admission Office)
College of Education, Benin 1982 – 1983
Designation: Asst. Registrar II (Administration)
Following my election in 2003 as a member representing Nnewi North State Constituency in the Anambra State House of Assembly, I noticed massive infrastructural decay in our network of roads. I quickly deepened my personal relationship with Dr. Chris Ngige to enable him pay attention to my Constituency and their plight. I liaised with the Commissioner of Works, Commissioner for Budget and Planning and other relevant State Government Agencies and most especially, lobbied Mr. Speaker and my colleagues in the House of Assembly to successfully put the following critical roads in the Budget which was signed into law, funds were released to various contractors and the roads were constructed to the glory of God and Ndi-Nnewi. The roads are as follows:
- NNEWI – OZUBULU ROAD through Mmili Ele with a dual ten-by-ten concrete waterway at Mmili Ele. This road opened access to Beverly Hills Hotel, Umudim, Nnewi as well as Ozubulu and Okija Expressway to Owerri, Imo State. It rejuvenated transportation of goods and services from and to Nnewi.
- NNEWI – ONITSHA – ICHI – OJOTO ROAD (Old Nnewi – Onitsha Road) was not accessible. The Mbonu – Ewim – Osigwe stretch was a gully and unpassable. I brought Governor Chris Ngige through that road and his convoy was grounded. Two days after that event, the Contract for the Old Nnewi – Onitsha road was awarded. The rest is history.
- EKE – AMUKO NNEWICHI TO NNOBI ROAD was cut by erosion at the Eke Nnodu junction. I got Governor Chris Ngige to construct the road from Amuko – Nnobi after one of our several visits to Nnewichi Erosion sites. Today, anyone can drive from Amuko – Nnobi seamlessly.
- EROSION MENACE IN OBIOFIA NNEWICHI threatened a mass exodus of my people from their ancestral homes. I made the Erosion Menace a National Disaster Issue on ABS Radio, NTA National News, Awka, Local and National Newspapers. With the kind assistance and cooperation of Governor Ngige, I went to Abuja to invite Col. Bala Mande (Rtd.) who was the Federal Minister of Environment to come to the Erosion sites on a working tour. I went to Enugu to invite Dr. Chu S. P. Okongwu (Former Minister of Petroleum, Budget and Planning). On a fixed day, all of them visited the Erosion Menace sites of Nnewichi. What followed was a network of roads with waterways on both sides which greatly checked the advancement of the Erosion Menace because the network of waterways channelled the massive flood to Mmili Agu Nnewichi and Mmili John in Ojoto and thereby saving people from mass exodus as happened in Aguata.
NOTE: I must commend the efforts of the three Governors I served while in the House of Assembly namely; Governor Chris Ngige, Governor Peter Obi and our own Governor Dame Virgy Etiaba whose commitment and deep love for Ndi-Nnewi while in office as Governor’ ensured that she increased the number of roads in the Erosion Menace zone, paid for their construction and ensured that they were completed and put to use. God bless her immensely. Chief Dan Ulasi was PDP State Chairman during the Ngige era and I must profusely commend him for his ebullient roles in pushing Ngige to focus on Nnewi and most of the achievements of that era were mainly because of his political sagacity and efficiency. In all honesty, himself and Sir Chris Atuegwe facilitated a lot of the achievements enumerated.
- 100 FOOT ROAD was put in the Budget of Anambra State by my humble self and constructed.
- THE FAMOUS NKWO – NKWO ROAD connecting Nnewi and Oraifite (Ekwusigo LGA) through St. Mary’s Uruagu Nnewi was put in the Budget and was facilitated by my humble self representing Nnewi North and Hon. Humphrey Nsofor representing Ekwusigo State Constituency in the Anambra State House of Assembly.
- SCHOLARSHIPS/JOBS/DONATIONS AND GIFTS During my tenure in office I awarded one University Scholarship to a constituent who studied Political Science with a major in Local Government at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN). The second scholarship was to a female constituent who studied English at the Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli. Secondary School teachers and Nurses secured jobs through my humble efforts. Keke NAPEP and motorcycles were given out within my capacity to my constituents. Small cash donations were a tradition. (Note that the demands of decency and deep respect for human dignity, convince me not to publish the list of beneficiaries for who I am grateful to God for touching their lives through my humble self).
ANAMBRA STATE POLITICAL CRISIS (2003 – 2007)
The Kidnap of Gov. Chris Ngige by AIG. Raphael Ige & Co.
Few months into our inauguration as Members of the Anambra State House of Assembly, Parliament was in session when we were informed that AIG RAPHAEL IGE and a lorry load of armed mobile men had kidnapped Gov. Chris Ngige from his office and taken him away. I quickly secured the consent of the Speaker to move a Motion of Urgent State and National Importance. I alerted Ndi-Anambra and Nigerians that a coup d’etat had taken place in Anambra State. As the House Committee Chairman on Information and Communication, I made sure the radio waves were awash with the news. Igwe Mbaukwu, Igwe Peter Anugwu alerted H.E. Atiku Abubakar who was then the Vice-President to President Olusegun Obasanjo. He ordered AIG Raphael Ige to release Gov. Chris Ngige and take him back to his office forthwith. The rest is history. I consider my effort contributory to the protection of democracy and rule of law in Anambra State.
Justice Wilson Egbo-Egbo’s Declaratory Judgement That Gov. Chris Ngige Was No Longer Governor of Anambra State: My Role
Hon. Justice Wilson Egbo-Egbo made a declaratory judgement that Gov.Chirs Ngige was no longer the Governor of Anambra State. The Governor’s security details were immediately withdrawn. He quickly escaped to a neighbouring State for his personal safety. There was total chaos and uncertainty throughout Anambra State. I quickly put a call to my sponsor, guardian and political strategist, Chief (Sir) Ben Ifeanyi Okoye who instructed me to do all I could to save the situation. As a Constitutional and Human Rights lawyer, in consultation with Gov. Ngige, officials of Government and the Traditional authority of my constituency, it was agreed that I petition the National Judicial Council (NJC) against the decision of Justice Wilson Egbo-Egbo. The summary of the Petition was that the judge lacked the jurisdiction to sack a sitting Governor which can only be done by an Election Petition Tribunal properly constituted. A sitting Governor has immunity against criminal and civil proceedings. The judgement was against the standard of civilized conduct expected of a Judge under the Rules and Regulations governing Judicial Conduct. The Chairman of the National Judicial Council and Chief Justice of Nigeria (Hon. The Chief Justice Mohammed Uwais, GCON) as he then was, upheld my Petition and ordered the dismissal of Hon. Justice Wilson Egbo-Egbo. Perhaps, this action earned me the nickname “Egbo-Egbo” by Gov. Chris Ngige. People still call me that till date. (Throughout my representation of Ndi-Nnewi in the House of Assembly of Anambra State (2003-2007), my guiding principles were consultation of my constituents in critical situations, carrying out their instructions on urgent state matters and abiding by the dictates of natural justice, equity and good conscience, honour and integrity).
It was during my tenure in office as Member representing Nnewi State Constituency that our dear State witnessed its most turbulent political period so far. Governor Peter Obi was impeached. I was the first member of the Anambra State House of Assembly to say on National Television, National Newspapers and various Radio Stations that the impeachment was wrong. I said that it was against natural justice, equity and good conscience and that I will fight against it because it was unconstitutional. I am PDP and Governor Peter Obi was then in APGA. Some members of the House of Assembly who carried out the impeachment escaped to Asaba, Delta State.
In the circumstances, God Almighty was my pillar. I had no power of my own. In the House of Assembly at that time, no member knew which member to trust. I was lucky. People from my constituency were variously involved in the situation one way or another.
Igwe K. O. N. Orizu, CON, JP, Igwe Nnewi was the Chairman of Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council while Dr. Dozie Ikedife (Ikenga Nnewi) was the President-General, Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo Worldwide. My Igwe instructed me to stand and fight for the truth and assured me of his support and protection. Dr. Dozie Ikedife charged me to remember that I represent Ndi-Nnewi and that Onye-Nnewi is not swayed by money but wisdom. Money was flying around to persuade members of the House of Assembly to desert Governor Peter Obi. I am proud to state that I stood where I was told which was the path of truth. My colleagues in the Assembly elected me The Speaker Protempore of the Anambra State House of Assembly and together with the traditional rulers, civil society organisations and the Judiciary, the impeachment was nullified and Governor Peter Obi was handed over power by Governor Dame Virgy Etiaba who was sworn-in as the first female governor in Nigeria. She immediately resumed her duty as the Deputy Governor of Anambra State.
Elected Member, 2003-2007
Nnewi North State Constituency,
Anambra State House of Assembly.
- Chairman, House Committee on Works and Public Utilities (2003-2007)
- Chairman, House Committee on Media and Communications (2003-2007)
Appointed Head (DDG), 2010
Ngige Campaign Organisation
(Governorship of Anambra State)
Designation: Deputy Director General
Appointed Director-General 2013
Ifeanyi Ubah Campaign Organisation
(Governorship of Anambra State)
- To sponsor a Bill for a Law to enhance Erosion Control in Anambra State especially in Urban areas like Nnewi and reduce the speed with which residential and agricultural land is lost to erosion menace by making it mandatory for every compound in Anambra State to dig a rain-water catchment pit, well, or umi.
- To sponsor a Bill for a Law to urgently create Roads and Infrastructure Maintenance Agency, in Anambra State for every Local Government Council and thereby create jobs for our youths to compliment Standard Local Government Staff especially in Nnewi which is a fast growing metropolis.
- To sponsor a Bill for a Law to ensure even maintenance of public primary schools attended by poor people of our State and Local Governments.
- To move Motions to bring to the notice of Anambra State Government the pains experienced by traders and businessmen over multiple taxation and physical harassment of Nnewi people by Tax Collectors.
- To liaise with the Commissioner of Police Anambra State to order a stop to the harassment and seizure of motorcycles by stop – and – search policemen on duty especially at night in Nnewi when there is no curfew declared by the State or Federal Government of Nigeria.
- Where necessary, to adopt existing Federal Legislations in which the Federal and State Legislatures have concurrent jurisdictions to enrich the laws of Anambra State for order and good governance of our people.
- To always fight against abuse of Fundamental Human Rights of any Nnewi person or any citizen of Nigeria resident in Nnewi.
- To liaise with the Igwe – In – Council and Nzuko Ora to ensure that any needed Bill for a law to ensure better administration of Nnewi is sponsored, passed, signed and enforced.
- To liaise with all Obis and Clan – Heads in transmitting necessary information and ideas for development of Nnewi and Anambra State Government.
- To carry out any other duty or assignment relating to my office as may be directed by relevant authorities in charge of Nnewi to ensure peace, order and good governance of Ndi – Nnewi.
The foregoing were my humble achievements as member representing Nnewi North State Constituency in the Anambra State House of Assembly from 2003 – 2007. Noteworthy is the fact that for over one year, President Obasanjo pursued Governor Ngige with the members of the House of Assembly from Anambra State to Delta State, Abia State and finally Abuja before our return to Awka to settle down and work.
Accordingly, permit me to appeal to Ndi-Nnewi to massively elect me as the Candidate of PDP for the Anambra State House of Assembly in the 2019 General Election. If I could achieve all i did in times of crisis and projected the of Ndi – Nnewi, I could do more in times of peace as we have today in Anambra State.
I make this appeal because I am willing and able to robustly and courageously represent Nnewi again as a RANKING MEMBER with honest hardwork, diligence, focus, knowledge of the Law and Legislative competence, communicative skills, consultation and ability to define the needs of Ndi Nnewi in consultation with Igwe’s Cabinet and Nzuko Ora Nnewi to ensure that Nnewi Excels.
SIGNED: Rt. Hon Barr. Ben Chuks Nwosu
(Barrister & Solicitor) of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
B. A (Hons.) Philosophy
LL.B (Hons.) Bachelor-of-Laws
B.L (Hons.) Barrister-at-Law